Beans are something of a wonder food that are often overlooked when it comes to kid’s meals. They are a great source of protein, and contain essential nutrients including folate, zinc, iron, magnesium and, of course, fibre.
Naturally, they may not be the most interesting of foods but combining different types of beans not only makes a dish more interesting and tasty, it also ensures you get the most goodness possible in one simple meal.
Kids will like the different colours, shapes and textures and, if you’re lucky, also the taste.
This mixed bean salad combines kidney beans, chickpeas, celery and sweetcorn with a healthy and tasty dressing…
- 1 x 210g can kidney beans in water
- 1 x 400g can three bean salad in water
- 1 x 210g can chickpeas
- 1 x 200g can sweetcorn
- 3 sticks celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 sprigs fresh tarragon (optional)
- 1 small bunch (20g) fresh parsley
- 1 small lemon OR 2 x 15ml spoons lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- Can opener
- Sieve or colander
- Large bowl
- Large spoon
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Garlic crusher
- Plastic jug or bowl
- Juice squeezer (if using fresh lemon)
- Measuring spoons
- Small bowl
- Jar or container with
tight fitting lid (optional)
- Serving bowl
- Drain the beans and sweetcorn and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
- Mix the beans together in a large bowl.
- Wash and dry the celery. Chop into 1cm pieces. Stir into the beans.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Use scissors to finely chop the tarragon (if using) and parsley.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon, if using fresh.
- Put the olive oil, lemon juice, tarragon, parsley and garlic in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly to combine. Alternatively, place in a jar with a lid and shake until well mixed.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Make this salad in advance so the flavours have a chance to combine.
- Use any combination of different beans.
Something to try next time
- Use chives instead of tarragon.
- Try adding cooked green beans, mangetout, sugar snap peas or broad beans to the salad.
- Add some cooked new potatoes. Mix them with the beans whilst they are still warm so they absorb the dressing better.