Winter can feel like a long time cooped up indoors, especially with children. However, there should be no reason children can’t play outside still. You may not always feel like going for a big adventure or a walk or to the park in the cold rainy weather, so here are some ideas to encourage children to get outdoors in the garden to play…
Winter garden play
- Puddle jumping
- Singing in the rain – with umbrellas
- Stomping in mud
- Making mud pies
- Make some ice ornaments – by gathering pretty leaves, berries etc, then freezing them in water, to hang on a tree
- Ice play – my kids get very excited when there’s been a frost, it means they can go outside to find ice and experiment with it
- Bug hunt – hunt for as many bugs as you can find
- Jumping – long jump, high jump
- Building a den
- Chalking – pictures, letters, hopscotch, draw out a roadway to play on
- Ball games – football, catch, piggy in the middle, skittles, bat and ball, swing ball
- Hula hoop
- Ride-ons or bikes
- Bird watching
- Wash the car
- Wash outdoor toys
- Have a winter picnic – with warm soup, hot jacket potato, sausages
Then of course, there’s nothing better than coming inside after some winter outdoor fun, for a lovely warm cosy hot chocolate and marshmallow!
Benefits to outdoor play
There are many benefits to getting outdoors, even throughout winter, here are just a few of them.
- Physical exercise – it is always good to get out and get moving, burn off some energy, release some tension and be healthy.
- Fresh air – is great to help reduce tension and improve health.
- Boosts the immune system
- Stimulates imagination – there are so many play opportunities outdoors, in a natural environment, nature has a lot to offer
- Fun – it’s good fun getting outside, running around, playing games, using imagination
- Getting outdoors in this cold, wet weather may not seem very inviting, but if you ensure children are wrapped up in appropriate clothing and footwear, they are more likely to enjoy it and stay there for longer
Have a go, get outside for some fun in the garden…..you may be surprised how much you all enjoy it.
What do you like to play in the garden in winter?